Finance minister Nirmala Sitharaman should put more money in hands of the people by cutting cess and taxes on fuels as well as surcharge on personal income tax, Congress leader and former finance minister P Chidambaram has said days ahead of the Budget. Chidambaram, who has presented nine budgets, the second highest after Morarji Desai, spoke to Indivjal Dhasmana about allocation to education, health, PM Kisan, MNREGA like urban schemes and the glide path for fiscal deficit.
TO READ THE FULL STORY, SUBSCRIBE NOW NOW AT JUST RS 249 A MONTH.
Already a premium subscriber? LOGIN NOW
What you get on Business Standard Premium?
- Unlock 30+ premium stories daily hand-picked by our editors, across devices on browser and app.
- Full access to our intuitive epaper - clip, save, share articles from any device; newspaper archives from 2006.
- Curated newsletters on markets, personal finance, policy & politics, start-ups, technology, and more.
- Pick your 5 favourite companies, get a daily email with all news updates on them.
- 26 years of website archives.
- Preferential invites to Business Standard events.
Subscribe to Business Standard Premium
Exclusive Stories, Curated Newsletters, 26 years of Archives, E-paper, and more!
Insightful news, sharp views, newsletters, e-paper, and more! Unlock incisive commentary only on Business Standard.
Download the Business Standard App for latest Business News and Market News .
First Published: Mon, January 30 2023. 12:29 IST
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU